Yes, She Can! Riviera Nayarit Celebrates Successful Female Entrepreneurs
From hoteliers and renowned chefs to healing instructors and chocolatiers, the eclectic destination shares a behind-the-scenes look at its female entrepreneurial scene
RIVIERA NAYARIT, NAYARIT, MÉXICO (Feb. 6, 2020) – With International Women’s Day coming up next month, Riviera Nayarit, Mexico’s Pacific Treasure, is celebrating the many women who help make the destination special. From spearheading world-class restaurants to eco-friendly boutique properties and unique luxury experiences, women have long been key players in helping position Riviera Nayarit as a versatile region through their one-of-a-kind offerings. Below are the stories behind some of the destination’s top female led businesses.
- Hotel Cielo Rojo: This luxury boutique property is the result of a lifelong dream of Gisela Marin, a Los Angeles native whose parents hail from Mexican state Chihuahua. Opened in 2005, in the region’s cultural capital of San Pancho, Marin created an intimate, eco-friendly space where travelers can unplug and celebrate nature. Environmentally conscious practices include sourcing local produce and mineral water and using organic cotton sheets.
- Haramara Retreat: Known for its spiritual appeal, Haramara is a holistic retreat founded by yogi and healing instructor, Sajeela de la Borbolla. A go-getter by nature, Sajeela left her normal life behind to follow the holistic beliefs of an Indian guru, which eventually inspired the concept behind Haramara. With two magnificent yoga pavilions with high thatched roofs, handmade wooden floors, and panoramic views of lush jungle, it’s no wonder Yoga Journal recognized Haramara as one the world’s 10 best yoga retreats.
- Villa Bella Bed & Breakfast: In one of life’s unexpected twists, an opportunity fell in the lap of Elsa Alba and her husband, when they turned their home at the time into Villa Bella Bed & Breakfast. Home to five villa-type suites, an infinity pool, full-service spa and more, this hilltop boutique hotel is popular among honeymooners and groups seeking secluded, laid-back getaways in off-the-beaten path destinations. Elsa is praised by guests for her motherly approach to offering personalized experiences.
- El Delfin: Riviera Nayarit’s positioning as a culinary prowess in Mexico is partly due to the works of celebrity chef Betty Vazquez, the destination’s official gastronomy ambassador destination. Vazquez is the driving force behind El Delfin, one of the country’s leading and most-awarded restaurants that specializes in authentic Nayarit fare coupled with distinct colonial flavors. Vazquez is also judge on the Mexican edition of Master Chef.
- Granja El Paraiso: The gift of a single cow back in 2011 inspired Liza Kovaks Schennen to transform her farm space as the foundation for a business – a charming grocery store in the fishing town of Lo de Marcos that celebrates organic Mexican produce. Since then, Granja has expanded to offer artisanal cheese, ranging from panela to fresh cheese and mozzarella, organic greens and vegetables and other locally sourced products.
- La Patrona Polo & Equestrian Club: Originally from Zurich, globetrotter Gabrielle Weber co-opened La Patrona in 2004, following a deep interest for horseback riding and luxury travel. In addition to offering classes and hosting world-class events, the sprawling and beautifully designed club features a beach club and fine dining options, including a popular Sunday brunch overlooking the three polo fields.
- Planeta Cacao: Founded by local Laura Aguilar, Planeta Cacao offers an experiential tour deep into the roots of cocoa in Mexico’s Pacific coast. Whether it’s through interactive workshops on chocolate crafting, or through the tasting of cocoa-based cocktails and delicious fresh kernels, travelers can enjoy endless opportunities to learn and appreciate the symbolism of cocoa.
- Revolucion del Sueño: Laetitia Dijan is the brain behind this popular boutique store located in the boho-chic, surfer town of Sayulita. Here, guests will find products that reflect Riviera Nayarit’s indigenous art scene, where quality beadwork and colorful embroidery take center stage. From handmade bags and hats to pens and home décor, Laetitia curated selection offer a unique, intricate and colorful perspective of the Huichol natives.
In addition to Riviera Nayarit’s powerful female presence and versatile offerings, Mexico’s Pacific treasure offers easy connections to most major U.S. and Canadian cities through the Gustavo Diaz Ordaz International Airport, making it a must-visit destination for travelers seeking off-the-beaten paths experiences.
# # #
About Riviera Nayarit
Renowned for its eclectic charm, luxurious hospitality and authentic appeal, Riviera Nayarit has earned global recognition as the Pacific Coast’s treasure destination. Situated within Mexican state Nayarit, the region offers 192 miles of pristine Pacific coastline, the wondrous Sierra Madre Mountains, the spectacular Banderas Bay and endless protected natural marvels. Riviera Nayarit is home to resort town Nuevo Vallarta, historic village San Blas, exclusive celebrity haven Punta de Mita, “boho-chic” surf mecca Sayulita and a variety of picturesque fishing villages. Activities abound from world-class golf courses, zip lining, diving and surfing to bird watching, whale watching and turtle release programs. Accommodations range from luxury branded resort destinations and family friendly all-inclusives to intimate boutique properties and everything in between. A further testament to the destination’s hospitality offerings, Riviera Nayarit boasts four AAA Five Diamond hotels, 11 AAA Four Diamond hotels and 13 AAA Three Diamond hotels. Rounding out the destination’s allure, superior quality international gastronomy awaits including a AAA Five Diamond restaurant, six AAA Four Diamond restaurants and 26 AAA Three Diamond restaurants. Riviera Nayarit is conveniently 10 minutes north of Gustavo Diaz Ordaz International Airport (PVR).
To discover the Pacific Coast’s treasure destination, visit www.RivieraNayarit.com or follow Riviera Nayarit on Facebook, Twitter @riv_nayarit and Instagram @riviera_nayarit.