- Did you know a cigarette butt dropped on the sand takes up to 15 years to degrade? Help keep our cities, beaches, and oceans clean!
The Bahía de Banderas Hotel and Motel Association (AHMBB), the Riviera Nayarit Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB), and the Riviera Nayarit Sustainability Committee invite you to join in the 1st Cigarette Butt Challenge 2020, which will take place from November 23-29 in this tourist destination.
This initiative is part of the “For Better or for Worse” movement, dedicated to ensuring cigarette butts are recycled or reused. In the case of the Cigarette Butt Challenge, the goal is to raise awareness and contribute to waste management by collecting the butts for subsequent recycling at authorized Ecofilter Mexico collection centers located throughout Mexico.
According to the Riviera Nayarit Sustainability Committee, they can be collected from the beaches, roadways, hotels, offices, and even from home.
“Challenges are on trend nowadays, so I’m very pleased to present this latest challenge to raise awareness about the importance of recycling cigarette butts; I think it’s a very worthwhile challenge that can improve our surroundings,” said Marc Murphy, managing director of the CVB.
The challenge will be spearheaded by the Sustainability Committee together with the Bahía de Banderas Trust (FIBBA) and the Nuevo Vallarta Homeowners Association (via their Green Nuevo Vallarta waste collection program), among other entities.
Of note is the participation of hotels including Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, Paradise Village, Hard Rock Vallarta, The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, Marival Emotions, Marival Distinct, Iberostar Playa Mita, and Samba Vallarta.
This is an open invitation to other organizations and persons who wish to register.
How can you participate?
- Collect as many cigarette butts as you can.
- Place them in PET bottles, but make sure the bottles are perfectly dry before you fill them up.
- Once the bottles are full, drop them off with the Tourism Development Coordinator at the AHMBB/OVC so they can be taken to the collection centers authorized by Ecofilter Mexico.
- Collection records will be given to participating hotels and organizations.
- Registration: Riviera Nayarit CVB. Tel. 322 297 2516. Ext. 108.
Take action now! Just throw it in the bin.
Cigarette butts are the number one waste product found on beaches and in forests around the world. Each one takes 10 to 15 years to degrade and contaminates the ecosystem in its wake. A single cigarette butt can contaminate up to 50 liters of fresh water and 10 liters of salt water. This waste invades the public spaces where we all live together and represents a global health problem.
The Riviera Nayarit Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) and the Bahía de Banderas Hotel and Motel Association (AHMBB) work strongly together to promote the region with the support of the Government of the State of Nayarit through its Tourism Promotion Trust (Fiprotur).