The Riviera Nayarit is located on the Mexican Pacific coast in the state of Nayarit, within the municipality of Banderas Bay. This tourism corridor spans a length of 190 miles and is only 10 minutes north of the Puerto Vallarta International Airport, which is in the neighboring state of Jalisco.
The Riviera Nayarit is made up of diverse micro destinations where each represents something unique about this magnificent area. It’s important for us to differentiate the different towns that together create the Riviera Nayarit, because this area is commonly confused with Jalisco and many a time the micro destinations are named as part of this adjacent state.
Even though we share the same climate, culture and the same bay—the Bay of Banderas—each State has its own distinctive features that welcome visitors.
The Riviera Nayarit’s many towns include: Nuevo Vallarta, Flamingos, Bucerías, La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Punta de Mita, Higuera Blanca, Litibú, Sayulita, San Francisco, Lo de Marcos, Los Ayala, Rincón de Guayabitos, La Peñita, Matanchén Bay, San Blas, Mexcaltitán Island and Playa Novillero.
Each one has its own charm and an ambiance that runs the gamut, from extreme luxury to culture to hippie chic. We invite you to get to know a bit more about our towns by visiting our website and thus identify exactly where the Riviera Nayarit is located. Here is a Top Ten list of things you can’t miss during your next visit:
1. Golf: The Riviera Nayarit has six top-tier golf courses by masters such as Robert Von Hagge, Jim Lipe, Percy Clifford, Greg Norman and Jack Nicklaus
2. The Marietas Islands: Are within the State of Nayarit
3. La Tovara in San Blas: Offers the best bird-watching in all of Mexico; in fact half of the country’s species reside here.
4. Sayulita - Surf & Paddle lessons + ATV + shopping: Your hippie chic destination
5. Gastronomy: Pescado Sarandeado (Grilled fish) and Camarones al Aguachile (a sort of spicy shrimp ceviche) are the all-time favorites from our traditional cuisine.
6. Punta Mita: The most exclusive resort in Mexico; preferred by socialites and celebrities.
7. San Francisco: Cultural Capital of the Riviera Nayarit.
8. Polo Club: The only one on the Pacific Coast is found in San Francisco.
9. Mexcaltitán Island: Known as the birthplace of Mexican culture.
10. Isabel Island: Bird watching and whale shark spotting
# # #
Don’t forget to follow us on our social media accounts! If you enjoyed this newsletter, please share with your friends and colleagues. Thank you!